While most people are aware that multiple sclerosis is a serious disease, they are often not sure what it is and exactly what effect it has on people that live with it. It is a neurological disease, and we at Radar Medical provide excellent treatments for it. Our renowned neurologist in Las Vegas, Dr. Russell Shah likes to ensure that patients have a good understanding of the disease they are suffering from.
March is Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Awareness Month
In this article, you will find information about what multiple Sclerosis is, its causes, signs, and diagnosis as well as treatment options.
Multiple Sclerosis Facts
- MS is a chronic disease that affects the central nervous system.
- It is believed to be an autoimmune disorder.
- This unpredictable condition can be disabling, relatively benign, or devastating.
- Some people with multiple sclerosis may only be mildly impacted, while others might lose their ability to walk, speak, write or see clearly. This is because the disease disrupts communication between the brain and various parts of the anatomy.
- A fatty tissue called myelin acts like a sheath and protects the nerve fibers in the body.
- In persons suffering from MS, myelin is lost in more than one area. This results in the formation of sclerosis (scar tissue). These areas may also be referred to as lesions or plaques.
- When damaged in this manner, the nerves lose their ability to conduct electrical impulses from and to the brain.
Multiple Sclerosis- What Causes It?
There are several possible causes of multiple sclerosis including:
- Autoimmune disorders
- Viruses and other infectious agents
- Genetic factors
- Environmental factors
However, there isn’t sufficient information about the actual role of these factors in the incidence of multiple sclerosis. This can make it a little difficult to describe definitely why a particular person develops MS.
Why Recognizing Early Signs Of MS Matters
In any disease, early detection can mean timely treatment. In the case of MS, this helps in better management of the disease. A skilled and experienced Las Vegas neurologist would be able to detect the early signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis and provide the best treatment.
Dr. Shah always encourages patients to be very mindful of their health and the manner in which their body behaves. This can help patients seek medical intervention in a timely manner which in turn results in a better treatment outcome.
Symptoms Of Multiple Sclerosis
The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are quite erratic. They could be very severe or mild, for a short duration or longer one. Depending on which area of the nervous system affected, they may appear in different combinations. Some of the most common symptoms of MS include:
Initial Symptoms Of Multiple Sclerosis
- Green-red color distortion
- Double/blurred vision
- Loss of vision as well as pain caused by optic neuritis (optic nerve inflammation)
- Difficulty walking
- “Pins and needles” sensation, prickling, numbness or pain
Other Symptoms Of MS
During the course of the illness, the person might experience any/all of these symptoms, to varying degrees:
- Difficulty with coordination-impaired standing or walking may result
- Complete/partial paralysis is possible
- Muscle weakness in all the extremities
- Fatigue that could be triggered by any form of physical activity. This might subside with some rest. Persistent and constant fatigue may be present.
- Spasticity or the involuntary increased tone of muscles which leads to spasms and stiffness.
- Speech impediments
- Loss of sensation
- Dizziness and tremors
- Bladder and bowel disturbances
- Hearing loss
- Changes in sexual function
Related Cognitive Impairments
At our Las Vegas Neurology clinic, we have seen that about 50% of all patients with multiple sclerosis experience different types of cognitive impairments related to this disease. The overall effects of these impairments are often undetectable because they are mild and could include difficulty with some or all of the following:
- Poor judgment
Medical Evaluation Procedures Used
These impairments may be more evident only after comprehensive testing, which is why our expert neurologist in Las Vegas, NV conducts a detailed neurological exam and a complete medical history evaluation. The medical examination would include:
- Emotional functions
- Mental functions
- Functions of the five senses
- Movement and coordination
- Language functions
We are unarguably the best neurology clinic in Las Vegas and Dr. Russell Shah uses a range of specialized Multiple Sclerosis evaluation procedures such as:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Evoked potentials
- Cerebral spinal fluid analysis (also referred to as lumbar puncture/ spinal tap)
- Blood tests
Evaluation and accurate diagnosis of MS requires a range of tools to eliminate the possibility of various other disorders. A series of laboratory tests will be carried out to diagnose whether the patient is suffering from MS. Dr. Shah will then create a detailed treatment plan, based on the findings and test reports.
Tips To Spread Awareness
As mentioned earlier, March is Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month. If you or someone you know suffers from this disease, Dr. Shah suggests these tips for spreading awareness about it:
- Share information about multiple sclerosis and how it impacts your life, on social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Participate in events for multiple sclerosis charities and non-profit organizations such as Walk MS that is organized by the National MS Society.
- Become an advocate for multiple sclerosis- become a spokesperson for a local TV radio station or newspaper.
- Volunteer to help out at various multiple sclerosis events.
- Help others with the same condition.
- Join some local MS support group or even set one up in case there isn’t one in the vicinity.
- Put up detailed awareness posters in your workplace, college, school etc.
- Wear an orange MS ribbon/attire in order to help strike up a conversation about the condition.
- Host a special fundraising event for an MS charity or non-profit organization.
Dr. Russell J. Shah, MD, is one of the most reputed neurologists in Las Vegas. He provides world-class treatment of all types of neurological diseases such as multiple sclerosis. If you are looking for the best Las Vegas Neurologist, Radar Medical is the center to visit. For more information call us at 702 644 0500 or get in touch through our Contact Us form.